Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Other Red Meat

I have so far seen two major benefits of Twitter: Getting an inside track on what Lileks is thinking (usually something ordinary, but framed in a disturbing way), and getting leads to places I wouldn't likely go.

One of those places I wouldn't have found on my own is the site What Does That Prayer Really Say? Written by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf. A look to the right shows you that I link to the American Papist blog, so I'm not really a stranger to Catholic blogs. But WDTPRS strikes me as different. Maybe it's the layout, maybe it's the writing... I don't know...maybe the anti-squirrel jihad crusade?

But I just visited for the first time, and I scrolled down to see pictures of squirrels. A dapper red squirrel and a rather uptight looking gray. Then I read Fr. Z's lead in:

It will come as no surprise to anyone who has followed WDTPRS for a while that I am no great lover of squirrels.

Yes… I know this might lose me some votes in the 2008 Weblog Awards election… (VOTE FOR ME!) ... but I do admit it.

I don’t like them.

So I was quite amused when a reader sent me a link to this article in Hell’s Bible... er um… the New York Times.


What follows is an extended quote with Fr. Z's additions throughout. My favorite:

These days, however, in farmers’ markets, butcher shops, village pubs and elegant restaurants, squirrel is selling as fast as gamekeepers and hunters can bring it in. [I am on board so far.]

“Part of the interest is curiosity and novelty,” said Barry Shaw of Shaw Meats, who sells squirrel meat at the Wirral Farmers Market near Liverpool. “It’s a great conversation starter for dinner parties.” [Yes… I suspect it is.]

While some have difficulty with the cuteness versus deliciousness ratio — that adorable little face, those itty-bitty claws [blech] — many feel that eating squirrel is a way to do something good for the environment while enjoying a unique gastronomical experience. [Yes! Offing a squirrel helps everyone!]


"Offing a squirrel..." I think I like this guy! He's got the right attitude about the NYT as well (Hell's Bible... heh).

And as Fr. Z mentioned, he's nominated for Best Religious Blog... go ahead and give him a vote.

No comments: