Friday, November 28, 2008


The death toll in the Mumbai attacks may be 143. A NYT correspondent is 'live blogging' the retaking of Nariman House:

Keith Bradsher, a Times correspondent, is sending The Lede updates from his BlackBerry as he watches a commando operation taking place at the Nariman House, home to the Orthodox Jewish group Chabad Lubavitch, and around Mumbai.

Sample update:

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:45
A flurry of shots has just sounded from inside Nariman House, to which I have just returned. A team of Israelis who specialize in searching and securing sites after terrorist attacks just arrived here from Israel and said that they had been told that they might be allowed to go into the building soon. There has still been no official word on the fate of the rabbi and his wife who were living at Nariman House at the time of the assault.

And the most recent posting, only about 15 minutes old as I post:

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:00
The Indians are sending a fresh set of commandos in black uniforms and heavy body armor into the buildings around Nariman House and withdrawing commandos in blue or black uniforms who have been in action all day.

For the first time today, a van with six medics in surgical gowns and masks has just driven up close to Nariman House in a possible sign of casualties.

Three heavy blasts have just been heard in as many minutes.

This is excellent work by the Times reporter. I guess this is how an MSM outlet like the Times can stay relevant: combine new media and technology with old school field reporting. I hope this guy stays safe.

No comments: